7c9f552cd81a4f369ada4f7dd4e0ebeed45a4a5d

How to Get Your Travel Plans in Order

There are some people that begin planning a trip months in advance. They have so much to do and are strategic in their planning right down to the lists of things to do one month before, one week before, the night before. I envy those people because I am so not like that. Organization is not my strong suit so for me, I have to do the research on how to do that. Well, let me tell you what I learned because recently, I planned a big trip with the family to go on a cruise and I didn't want to do it but thought, this would be the perfect opportunity to show myself that it really works. Below is a list much like the one I followed for our successful trip to the Bahamas. Once the trip was set through the cruise line, all that was left was me emailing everyone a list of things for them to do.

1. For travelling abroad, always check for the currency exchange in advance so you know how much to base your budget on.

2. Make an itinerary of your trip. Include all the phone numbers to any hotels or family members if you plan on staying with family.

3. Arrange for a neighbor or friend to collect your mail or newspapers while you're gone

4. Be sure to have someone to take care of your pets while you're away or have someone stay at your home with them so they don't get lonely.

5. On the day you leave, double check that you have your passport, your tickets, your money, your driver's license and a copy of your itinerary.

6. Unplug your appliances and be sure all windows and doors are locked and secured.

7. Adjust your thermostat and be sure that the stove/oven is turned off.

8. Leave a light on in the house or set a timer for them to come on at a certain time each night.

9. Have a neighbor watch your house and even have him park his car in your driveway to make it look like someone is staying there.

10. On the actual travel day, wear something comfortable and cool. Take an extra sweater or jacket just in case.

11. If flying to your destination, be sure to arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to your flight to ensure that you are all checked in and ready to go. You will have to have your driver's license when you check in.